Timeshare Trap

Timeshares are one of the worst investments you can make. This journal is to inform people who are thinking about purchasing a timeshare not to do so and help those trying to get rid of their timeshare.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Timeshare Lies - Letter From A Reader

Our CommentsA sad story, but one we hear all too often. Never let a timeshare salesperson convince you that selling your timeshare will be easy. It won't and as we have said time and again, it will usually be for a substantial loss. Take this situation to heart so you don't find yourself in a similar situation.

___________________________________


I am only starting to look into this, I hope I can get some direction. I purchased a timeshare at Los Abrigados, in Sedona, Arizona about 3 years ago, on an every other year deal. Had no problem with payments, or timeshare. One issue I brought up was that they state that income level must be $50,000. When I stated that at the time I was making approx. $35000, rep. said it didn't matter (using selling techniques much like a car dealer), also that I was not married and couldn't be suitable, per their rules-again it didn't matter. About a year later, I was offered an upgrade, to every year, at only a slightly increased price. My father was ill at the time (has since passed away) and I thought that it would be nice to use while he could. I expressed this to them that although I could make payments, how hard would it be to sell should his health deteriorate? Stupid me, I was assured that reselling it back to them would be no problem as money would be needed to help my ailing father. About 3 months later, I tried to deal with them, and as you can imagine, I got nowhere, and with other things going on this was put on backburner. Although I am aware that I made a commitment there must be some way to deal with them amicably. Due to financial burden with my father, have not paid them since Oct. 2004, as I could not afford it, I would be broke!! I do feel there was an element of misleading, and am willing to share some of the burden... - Dan

2 Comments:

  • At 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I got scammed by ILX into buying a 1br/annual for $11,000 in 1993. Annual fee is now up to mid $600's. Deceptive sales practices seem to be condoned by the corrupt/Republican-dominated AZ legislature, always in bed with sleazy timeshare developers.

    These things are essentially worthless. I've seen offers to GIVE them away. You will never sell it for any significant sum, and if you are not paying your annual fees, you will have to make that current before you could possibly dump it. In the meantime, ILX can play games with your credit rating.

    Feel sorry for you.

    Joe Martori -- remember that what goes around comes around!

     
  • At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Comment..why couldn't you sell the time share to someone else?

    Kevin,WA

     

Post a Comment

<< Home